Alignment: Chaotic Java

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Lightweight Java IDE

Ever since I got Booky (iBook G4 1.25GHz 256MB RAM), I've been trying to delegate tasks I normally would do on my BigMac (PowerMac G5 2GHz Dual 1GB RAM). The reason for this is double: First, I'd like to take my work with me and only deploy it on BigMac, where they could consume resources as they please. Second, I'd like to be able to work from my bed, wirelessly. I'm spoiled.

However, writing code proved itself a bit hard. XCode is great especially because it delegates the compiling task to the BigMac, but it lacks a Lot in certain features such as auto-completion. Eclipse was always a good choice, even though the Carbon look and feel it gives isn't the best for (again, spoiled) users like myself. However, if that was the problem I'd deal with it, and I have done so for some time until I've had enough - Eclipse just crawls on Booky, taking up a lot of resources itself that compiling becomes a daunting task.

I would even buy IntelliJ from JetBrains if I knew it would suit my needs.

And what are my needs? I guess I hold out a cry for the public! (again!)

What I need is a lightweight application for coding Java projects. Auto-completion is a must-have, and at least some way of having a "project view" is a great plus. That's all I require, in fact.

5 Comments:

At 12/09/2005 12:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been using IntelliJ running on a Windows XP desktop computer in the office from my PowerBook at home via Remote Desktop over a 256K DSL connection to a secure VPN network with no problems. I think today, with broadband internet connection you don't need a lightweight client at all.

 
At 12/09/2005 09:26:00 AM, Blogger Avah said...

As much as that would work from the comforts of my bed, it wouldn't work from a train, for example.

I have installed IntelliJ's 30 days trial now, to see how it works. It has a memory consumer bar on the bottom right - I hope it's trustworthy.

 
At 12/09/2005 02:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, it begs being said. You should really invest the time to learn how to use gvim. The keys are useful everywhere, and the scripts / plugins can do what you have stated are your requirements. For me it's been a steep learning curve, but a very useful investment. I work on unix boxes regularly that have nothing but vi installed, and I can work well there because I choose to occasionally develop in gvim.

 
At 12/15/2005 10:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How large your projects? With 256 mb develop large project real pain. But if they are not so big IntelliJ rulezz for now.

 
At 12/15/2005 11:36:00 AM, Blogger Avah said...

Since I only use the laptop for my small, private projects, they're small.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home